If the past year has taught us anything, it’s that community is so important. Now more than ever we need to be supporting each other and nurturing our passions which is why we’re launching our first open call for new designers and makers which we’re calling, Resident Lab.
So, if you’re a budding creative with a product that you think would sit well in our store, we want to hear from you! We’re looking for everything from ceramics, clothing, homeware, skincare and everything else in between.
We’ll be taking applications online initially, and then once restrictions are eased we’ll invite our favourites to come to the store and meet with us and our carefully chosen judging team (more details on our team later) to help us pick the products we think will work best in our store. Even if we don’t choose to stock your product, you’ll get the benefit of some expert advice from us and our team on your ideas so it really is a win-win.
The only rules that we're going to set are that the product must not currently be sold anywhere else (other than through your own website), that it fits into one of our the product categories laid out below and that you’d be happy to sell exclusively through Resident if we select your product.
- Home accessories - Ceramics, glassware, soft furnishings, tableware - if it's an accessory that lives in the home, this is the category for you.
- Furniture - We're talking bigger pieces here. Seating, tables, cabinets, storage and everything in between.
- Graphics, art & illustration - Anything from original pieces of artwork through to prints, greetings cards and stationery.
- Skincare - Bath, body & beyond. This can include small accessories too.
Things to consider
Branding. Goes without saying - your product has to look great. Aesthetics are important to us, and it’s important that new things sit well in the store alongside the existing brands we have.
Financials. Consider your RRP and wholesale prices carefully. Will you have minimums or pack sizes? Make sure you’re getting the most for your product, whilst ensuring your pricing is competitive too.
Traceability is key. Show us where and how your product is made, by whom and the journey it takes to get to our store for extra brownie points.
How to submit your idea
To enter, you’ll need to put an initial pitch together and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Resident Lab' in the subject line. Your pitch should contain the following:
- The category your product fits into
- A product description (250 words max)
- Product images - up to 5
- Details on pricing (both wholesale and retail)
- Details on materials and where and how the product is made
- Your website and/or social media channels
- Any other supporting info you think is relevant
Applications are open until the end of April at which point we’ll sift through the entries, pick our favourites and invite you to come to Frome pitch to us and meet our judges in person.